Lynn C. Smith

NRUF Operator StationNRUF Station 2

I snatched these photos and descriptions from Roger Wendells Coast Guard site ... a couple of vintage Radio Shack photos of NRUF 'back in the day' of RM3 Lynn Smith, circa 1958. Thanks to Roger for permission to reprint here.

Smith describes;

"This was the standard radio position on the Sebago of which there were three. There were usually two RM's on duty except the midnight-4 AM and 4 AM - 8 AM watches. We had a lot of RM's just out of radschool (like me) so we would stand watch with an experienced (3 months) RM till we got our bearings. I can't remember the names of the receivers shown there, but the "bug" in the pic belonged to me me. I got my ticket a couple of months out of school. You can see the plug sockets were we put the headfones for various frequencies to monitor. We also monitored around 8 and 12 Meg ranges for commercial traffic. The little black box to the right of the typewritter was a remote control panel to switch transmitters if needed.

 At this time we had absolutly no gear to monitor aircraft tfc at all. When we went out on patrol to Campeche we took a civilian Wx man with us to take obs info and then we sent it in to NMG."

Smith also explained about the AN-FRT23 transmitter and the freqencies they guarded and worked. Nothing much changed after he left the ship in 1959. Most of you older Sebago ditchasers will remember that transmitter. When I came aboard in the 1970 I watched the AnFart being cut from the deck and replaced by a much newer unit - can't even remember the designation of it, but I do remember that it wasn't a tube unit and didn't need the 'dip and peak' procedure to get it up and running. It also allowed us to 'tune' the long wire antenna to ham frequencies and then connect the ham unit in after steering to the long wire and get a nearly perfect 5x5 quality patch back home to Pensacola. The ops back on the Gulf Coast used to tell us they always knew when 'The Seabag' was coming up for patches because the tuning process just knocked EVERYBODY off freq and then our CQ blew them away, even from the middle of the North Atlantic!

May 12, 2013 Lynn sends us an update . . '

"I have fond memories of the ol Sebag. Went there right out of RM school in Groton, Ct. in Sept of '58, having just turned 18 a couple of weeks earlier. Our teacher was RMC Moore and he was a very kind, understanding, and thorough teacher who spent as much time as warranted with the newbies. I should imagine he has passed on by now since I think he was in late 40's or early 50's at the time I was there. Course at 18 anyone over 30 looked ancient.

Someone mentioned the new xmitter that replaced our AN/FRT and they could get on the ham bands. I used to ask for the 4-8 watch so I would be alone and I tuned the AN/FRT many a night and blasted away from the middle of the gulf. great fun. What a shame the CW expired.

Anyway, I got a transfer to NOY in Galveston in early '59 and after making RM2 I spent the remainder of my 4 yrs in Galveston and we worked 48 on and 48 off. I lived only 50 miles away in Houston it was like having a part time job. We could leave and return in civvies and I think I wore my dress uniform about three times during my stay there.

I really loved the radio work but during that time I also realized I needed an education so got discharged a couple of weeks early to attend classes at University of Houston. I am retired now and living in Spring, Tx, about 20 north of Houston and loving it. Travel to casinos in Lake Charles, La and Ok. about once a month.

Just wondering of there are any plans for a reunion of Sebago Sailors in the near future? Would be good to catch up."

Aboard Now These shipmates are currently logged in